Join or Volunteer
The Community Women’s Orchestra welcomes new members. Prospective new members should be female musicians. The orchestra encourages women of at least an intermediate level of playing. Beginners or “rusty” players may prefer to join the entry-level ensemble: Strings Attached (see below).
At this time, CWO has the following vacancies: all strings (especially double basses) and trombones.
Other players may be added to a wait list and called upon when suitable vacancies arise.
Strings Attached – entry level ensemble
Did you used to play a long time ago, want to start up again but are feeling a bit “rusty”? Are you an “intermediate” player learning an orchestral string instrument? Then, this is the group for you! Strings Attached rehearses concurrently with the full orchestra. String players are especially encourage, but we can also accommodate other instruments on a case-by-case basis. Members will learn easier music and have plenty of performance opportunities, too. When you feel it’s time to join the full orchestra, you’ll be ready! Strings Attached is co-led by Sandra Noreiga and June Bonacich, who both bring vast experience as a music teachers, conductors, and musicians. June and Sandra are patient, caring and encouraging – just what you need! Please get in touch with us if you’re interested in joining.
CWO is always looking for volunteers to help the organization with such activities as ushering at concerts, fundraising, concert publicity, music library maintenance, grant writing, and the list goes on… If you are interested in volunteering with CWO please send us a message on our CONTACT US page, or call (510) 463-0313, and please complete a short intake form to provide contact information and tell us more about you. The form can be found on our online database system, Musetta, at https://cwo.musetta.org/public_forms/intake.
CWO and Strings Attached rehearse on Thursday evenings at 7:30pm in Oakland at First Congregational Church (2501 Harrison St at 27th – enter parking lot behind church from 27th and enter church through back double door to sanctuary). Interested musicians may consult the rehearsal schedule below and simply come to the next rehearsal. It is also recommended that new players email or call beforehand to confirm the rehearsal location, date and time and answer questions about the orchestra. Interested new members are also asked to complete a short intake form to provide contact information and tell us more about you. The form can be found on our online database system, Musetta, at https://cwo.musetta.org/public_forms/intake.
For more information on joining CWO, please e-mail email@example.com, or call (510) 463-0313.
2013-2014 Rehearsal Schedule
1. Rehearsal Thursday, December 5
2. Rehearsal Thursday, December 12
3. Rehearsal Thursday, January 9
4. Rehearsal Thursday, January 16
5. Rehearsal Thursday, January 23
6. Rehearsal Thursday, January 30
7. Rehearsal Thursday, February 6
8. Rehearsal, Thursday, February 13
9. Rehearsal, Thursday, February 20
10. Rehearsal, Thursday, February 27
11. Rehearsal Thursday, March 6
12. Dress Rehearsal Friday, March 7
13. International Women’s Day Concert, Sun, Mar 9, 5:00 P.M.
(preceded by rehearsal at 2:30)
1. Rehearsal Thursday, March 13
2. Rehearsal Thursday, March 20
3. Rehearsal Thursday, March 27
4. Rehearsal Thursday, April 3
5. Rehearsal Thursday, April 10
6. Rehearsal Thursday, April 17
7. Rehearsal Thursday, April 24
8. Rehearsal Thursday, May 1
9. Rehearsal, Thursday, May 8
10. Rehearsal, Thursday, May 15
11. Dress Rehearsal, Friday, May 16
12. Concert Sunday May 18, 5:00 P.M.
(preceded by rehearsal at 2:30 P.M.)